In my line of work and also in my personal life, I have come across really annoying people whom I would like nothing better than to bash his/her face into a bloody pulp but instead, I am forced to smile and be polite to them. In order to do that (the smile and be polite part, not the bashing part), I do these:
1) Take a deep breath
2) Tuck both hands deep into my pockets (if any) to make it harder for me to raise my hands, or else link it behind me
3) Take two to three steps away from the offending person
4) Count to ten to let the anger cool
5) Think of the horrible conditions in jail and how I do not want to end up there because of the offending person in front of me
6) Solve a complex mathematical problem in my head (since I am lousy in Maths, this could take me hours and will have me forgetting how offending the person is within seconds)
7) Think of all those starving, poverty stricken people in the world (to put me in a 'softer' but sad mood)
8) Think up 100 ways to torture the offending person
9) Actually picture the 100 ways of torturing the offending person (which usually elicits a genuine smile, though it is far from a pleasant smile)
10)Imagine the offending person in a ridiculous outfit such as a macho man in a pink polka dot frilly dress (this often had me trying to suppress my laughter)
11) Update and double-check my to-do list in my head including house chores and work schedules
12) Always have a nice manicure (so that I will be less tempted to use my hands and break a nail)
13)If all else fail, abruptly walk away on the pretext of answering my cell phone.
So far, I have not inflicted harm on anybody...yet. So, these steps obviously works for me!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants