Thursday

My secret love for cartoons

I spent most of my childhood reading especially when the telly is off-limits, so I missed out on a lot of the daytime cartoons that my friends talked about in school. It is during school holidays that I catch up on my cartoon knowledge, after all, I don't want to again pretend to have watched a certain cartoon and totally embarrassed myself by mistaking care bears for gummi bears and transformers for voltron, mickey for donald, Little Mermaid for Sleeping Beauty, Bambi for Goofy, etc.
So, after all those years of deprivation, I now watched cartoon channels most of the time.
Well, after work at least. Partly because my toddler would not allow the telly to play anything else except for the worlds of Barney, Spongebob, Stitch, Bananas in Pyjamas, Sesame Street, Mickey and Donald, Roadrunner, Tom and Jerry, the list just goes on and on. I know some parents would probably frown at me for allowing a toddler to watch TV at such a young age but hey, you try cooking dinner with a toddler trying to climb up your leg while attempting to grab whatever he can see on the kitchen counter! The TV is the best way to distract him for a full five minutes!
Back to cartoon world, I never knew there were so many cartoons to watch! Boy oh boy, imagine how much I have missed. My favourites are the girly ones of Totally Spies, Kim Possible, Powerpuff Girls and I also like Dexter's Lab, Fairly Godparents, The emperor's new groove, good old Mickey Mouse, Lilo & Stitch, Tom and Jerry, Spongebob Squarepants, Rugrats, All Grown Up, American Dragon...again, the lists goes on.
Naturally, I kept this a secret from my grown up friends (save for my husband who never failed to raise his eyebrows at me whenever I snatched the remote from him to tune in to the Disney channel because my Lilo & Stitch is coming on in five minutes!).
The secret accidentally slipped out one day in a very adult conversation with a fellow colleague.
"You know, I was watching Spongebob the other day and...errr...I mean, I was watching Superman," I had immediately tried to correct myself but it was too late.
"You watch Spongebob?" he was incredulous with raised eyebrows. (In a cartoon his eyes would probably go boiiinnnggg and fall out of the sockets before rolling under the table)
"Err...yeah..."
"Oh, because your son is watching it right? Hmmpphh, the sacrifices we parents have to make huh?" he came into this conclusion and gave me a 'I am a parent so I understand you' nudge, nod and wink.
To save my 'serious journalist' reputation, I merely nodded in agreement. I dared not tell him that every morning when I browse through the newspapers, I often zoom past the murders/rapes/tragedies/politics and head to the comics section. It is the most interesting section of the whole paper.(pssstt....don't tell anyone, I avoid reading the gory sad news whenever I can help it despite the fact that it is part of my job to scour the newspapers everyday to keep myself updated with the latest news)
But I seriously wonder why it is such a 'huge crime' for an overage adult to watch cartoons or read comics? Are cartoons somehow rated 'CG-B18' (children's guidance only - for those below 18) without us knowing about it?
One of the many reasons I love watching cartoons is that it never failed to make me laugh. It is not complicated and does not have issues it wants to 'preach' between the lines. It adds cheer and lotsa fun in my otherwise stressful working day.

So what's wrong with starting the day with some funnies be it on the telly or the comics section in the newspaper?

No comments: